Monday 21 January 2019

'IMPORTED' PRIESTS, CULTURE AND VESTMENTS


To comment, please open your gmail account, or use my email address if you have it, or post your comment on Facebook.



And another thing. A reliable source informs me that a luminary of a certain parish in the Palmerston North Diocese has objected to Fr Nathaniel Brazil's mother donating a set of new vestments to that church, (which prides itself on its sense of aesthetics), and his objection - he being who he is - has prevailed.

Please tell me someone, that my 'reliable source' is not as reliable as I think. Tell me this is not true. Specially tell me it's not true that said luminary complained and objected on the grounds of 'importing another culture' (Filipino).

So, I asked, what's the difference between Catholic priests' vestments 'imported' - actually of course, donated - from the Philippines, and New Zealand vestments?

I knew the answer before it was given. "Well, you've seen Fr Nathaniel's vestments," said my reliable source. Yes I have, and they're outstandingly beautiful by comparison with the bare-minimum-required attire of NZ's priests, most of whom who don't wear a clerical collar except when they must, and consequently go in camouflage and incognito in the secular community, and unless you're sharp-eyed and spot the tiny cross somewhere on their shirt (maybe), even in the Catholic community. 

Specially I loved Fr Nat's gorgeous rose vestments - also supplied by his mother I suppose, -which I admired on Gaudete Sunday in Advent.

Evidently our native-born priests don't share my admiration, my appreciation for the love of the source, summit and centre of our faith, the Eucharist, which is such an endearing aspect of Filipino spirituality. If our native-born priests shared that admiration we'd not just have more fittingly beautiful vestments, we'd have more priests.

I hope this story isn't true, but it has the ring of truth and is obviously seen as credible that a highly-regarded Catholic would wish to deny his church community a beautiful - and very expensive - set of vestments donated out of love for one particular priest but I'm sure out of love also for all the priesthood, vestments that give God a tiny bit of the infinite glory that is due to Him.

OLOL's existing vestments could be donated to another church in need of them, either in NZ or in the Islands where such things are lacking. 

Think of the expensive gifts given to the Infant Jesus at Bethlehem: gold, incense, myrhh. Did His Mother reject them as 'importing another culture'? No. She accepted them as His due, as the Glorious Saviour of the whole human race, which He was in the manger and is today when brought down upon the altar of Our Lady of Lourdes Havelock North by an 'imported' priest.

His Mother would have given thanks to God not just for those gifts but for the foreigners, devoted and dedicated followers of the Star, who gave them - as we also should give thanks for 'imported' priests, devoted and dedicated followers of Christ, who demonstrate their faith to the lukewarm Catholics of New Zealand. 

Talk about pearls before swine … The way Fr Nathaniel has been treated in diocesan high quarters, both lay and clerical, I'm afraid he might pick up his pearls and go home to the Philippines.

Please someone, tell me this story isn't true.

1 comment:

  1. I think fr Nat is now in Auckland. Considering the poverty in the Phils we ahould be down on our knees thanking Fathers family for their deep generosity.

    ReplyDelete