Thursday 21 February 2019

AT CLEARVIEW ESTATE IT WAS A PERFICK DAY - NEARLY.

To comment please open your gmail account, use my email address or facebook. Thank you.

We've all had that feeling, right? 

That dithery one where you're thinking, do I say something, or keep quiet. This time, it was actually fairly agonizing and I'd really like your opinion on whether I did The Right Thing.

It was a perfick summer afternoon at Clearview Te Awanga yesterday, at the end of a long lunch, when the conversation veered towards the dire state of our health services. Not just here but in the UK, home to four of the eight rellies gathered round a table among the olive trees and oleanders.
We'd just done the overland trip to Cape Kidnappers. The recently-retired accountant on my right has a son who's a paediatrician in the UK. Across the table was 'im indoors (my husband) who's served as chairman of HB Primary Health. Next to him was the accountant's wife who we gather also works in the health sector; there were  also a recently-retired senior university lecturer in public health nutrition and his wife, who not so long ago was 'The Fat Director' of Scotland, teaching the Scots how to eat for health, and now volunteering for the government to distribute food for a huge charity.

Then there was an Anglican priest, and his wife who volunteers for  a hospice. 

So they were all qualified to have a point of view, and it seemed all were one in bemoaning and bewailing our health systems.

I so badly wanted to ask, what else can we expect but failure from 'health' services which deliberately and routinely fail their patients by dealing them death instead of life, to the tune of 12,000 dead by abortion per annum in NZ and 186,000 in the UK.

The entire health edifice has been undermined by this legalized invasion of the mother's womb, killing its smallest patients and damaging their mothers physically, emotionally and spiritually, often for the rest of their lives. And that's to say nothing of the effect that killing rather than healing has on the death peddlers themselves.

But I didn't say any of that. I said nothing. I thought, this group is together for the first and likely the last time in our lives, and we'll break up to go our separate ways in a few minutes' time. 

Was I right to keep quiet and let everyone go away feeling pleased with themselves and one another, or should I have spoken out for the voiceless, the most vulnerable of all humankind? I worried about it all night. 

And then this morning at Mass, the first reading was from Genesis (9:1-13):  

I will demand an accounting for human life. If anyone sheds the blood of man, by man shall his blood be shed.

Our Western civilization is shedding its lifeblood, literally and figuratively. I can tell you, when I read those words my own blood ran cold.


'Anon' says:
Chilling.

1 comment:

  1. Julia, have you ever considered how the words of Pope Paul VI "What you have that you don't need doesn't belong to you; it belongs to some-one who needs it" apply to paid employment ?

    ReplyDelete