Thursday 13 August 2020

APOLOGISING TO NZ'S BISHOPS FOR BELIEVING THEY WOULD GET OFF THE FENCE

To comment, please open your gmail account; if that doesn't work use my email address juliedufresne@xtra.co.nz or Facebook, Messenger or Twitter. Scroll down for other comments.


 Jesus Christ did not sit on a fence; he denounced evil and evildoers.

I have received an email from David McLoughlin, Communications Adviser to New Zealand's Catholic Bishops, asking that I contact him urgently with details of what I'm doing to have the 'false and defamatory material' in my last post, NZ CATHOLIC BISHOPS BACK NEW CONSERVATIVES FOR ELECTION 2020, 'removed and retracted'.   

Accordingly, I have deleted the offending post. It was false, yes, and I apologise for my mistake. But it was hardly defamatory; rather it was, I believe, very complimentary to the Bishops. I, and many readers I should think, have thanked God and and His Blessed Mother for a miracle.

However, now sadder and wiser, I publish here in full the reply I have made to McLoughlin's email, which began 'Tena koe Julie': 

 

Dear David (I assume you are not Maori), 

Having returned home from Mass, I’ve read your email and I immediately deleted the offending post. 

I apologise for publishing it. Obviously I did so in good faith, trusting the source from which I received it. That was naïve of me, I admit, but as a Carmelite I know that humiliation is good for the soul. 

However, as a Carmelite and a Catholic I believe in miracles and will continue to pray for the miraculous defeat of the Labour Coalition Government at the polls which it so richly deserves. 

As a Catholic I question why New Zealand’s Bishops should be ‘apolitical’. 

Bishops are supposed, as our shepherds, to Preach the word: be instant in season, out of season: reprove, entreat, rebuke in all patience and doctrine (2 Tim 4:2). Archbishop Carlo Maria Vigano immediately springs to mind as a brave shepherd who publicly supports Donald Trump in the US elections. 

Jesus Christ did not sit on a fence; he denounced evil and evildoers. 

You state that my post was untrue, and that is unfortunate, certainly. However, to claim it was ‘defamatory and extremely damaging to the reputation of the NZ Catholic Bishops’ is simply risible. 

The Bishops should be flattered that I advertised them as supporting New Conservatives as the only credible voting option for NZ Catholics, except for voting for individual National candidates who uphold Catholic and Christian beliefs. 

I will now advise my blog and Facebook readers that the story was a hoax. It emanated, I imagine, from some Labour back-room strategist as an attempt to split the Catholic vote - if there is such a thing any more, which sadly I doubt. 

As a sign-off acceptable to all faithful Catholics, Maori or otherwise: 

AMDG


Julia du Fresne

Julia du Fresne

7 comments:

  1. I add:
    In answer to enquiries from readers wanting to know whether my post was fact or "satire", the 'media release' from the bishops purported to come from communications@nzcbc.org.nz
    Of course I'd like to claim it as satire as now in fact the post seems to be ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark Gasparini says:
    Back in the day when this was a Christian country the moral component of an election was practically the same with all parties, the difference was down to economic view points, therefore it was proper for religious organisations to be removed from this. Since the late 1960's however, with the decline of christian morality in general, successive governments have been promoting and supporting moral evil and giving it the status of 'rights,' to the point where practically every evil is now legally permissible in 2020. If Shepherds of the church say and do nothing they are guilty of grave sins of omission especially because of their station in life. By their silence it implies they support such evils. Where are NZ's Cardinal Burke's and Archibishop Vigano's. It is sad to say that a fake bishop by the name of Brian Tamaki is doing and saying far more against the moral evils of our time than the authentic ones are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anthony Trenwith says:
    The Church is required to be apolitical by both Canon Law and (civil) charities law. That does not prevent our bishops (or priests for that matter) from taking a position on issues (as indeed they do) or advising the faithful on what they should consider when casting their vote, but does not allow them to endorse (or denounce) or have active involvement with any political party or candidate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ben Symonds says:
    So I'm a bit confused here, did your "reliable source" turn around and say they made it up - or were they mis-lead as well?

    I say:
    They were misled as well.

    I mean my 'reliable source' was misled.

    Ben Symonds says:
    ok, cheers. I don't blame you Julia, I fell for it and shared it myself, but I am curious as to where in the chain it turned from genuine into deceiving.

    I say:
    I'd say it was absolutely intended to deceive and was forwarded genuinely.

    Ben Symonds says:
    Thanks for your response.

    Jos Van Iersel says:
    I searched the NZ Catholic Bishops Conference website for the relevant letter - did not find it, so did not share the post.

    I say:
    Very wise.

    Kate Hinton says:
    Thank you Julia, I was a bit concerned about it. I'm glad it's not real.

    Brad Larsen says:
    Makes sense Julia - I suspected that was ‘fake news’. Apart from not being in the habit of endorsing polictical parties, the NZ bishops aren’t known for taking a stand on anything controversial!

    Dina Ceniza says:
    Re the Church not having a political endorsement - I believe it’s also to protect our freedom of choice, freedom of conscience. They form us and pass on God’s word to us but we have the blessed gift of freedom to use our intellect in pursuit of the good. We have the responsibility to use it well.

    Cynthia Piper says:
    The item was a total fabrication. It attributed comments to me that I have never and would never make. I found it damaging and defamatory to both the NZCBC and my reputations. A simple check would have shown that it did not come from the NZCBC as the email address quoted in one post was incorrect.

    Ben Symonds says:
    Cynthia Piper out of interest, can I ask, which part would you "never" say and why?
    Also, now that she has apologised and rectified the matter are you willing to accept her apology?

    Philippa O'Neill says:
    I mean, let us be honest... it's what we were all hoping for... not so much to direct us where to vote but for me to make it clear that Labour/Greens are not to be trusted at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No reply from Cynthia, Ben ? Surprise, surprise.

      Delete
  5. Leo Leitch says:
    You are absolutely right that the bishops, were they Catholic, would be proud of such a media release, not call it “defamatory and extremely damaging” of their precious selves.

    If they were Catholic, they would in fact issue just such a media release.

    Perhaps you could ask Mr McLoughlin what part(s) of the media release are defamatory and extremely damaging.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Philippa O'Neill says:
    I mean, let us be honest... it's what we were all hoping for... not so much to direct us where to vote but for me to make it clear that Labour/Greens are not to be trusted at all.

    Jason Pearson says:
    Don't worry, our own pastor is very apolitical and does not teach what the bible says about how we should act and vote.

    Monica Devine says:
    'Twas a fun ride.

    Philippa O'Neill says:
    It was too good to be true! Great post tho. Xx

    ReplyDelete