Monday 23 January 2017

A CONVERSATION AT ADORATION, WITH A SMALL BOY


Today, about five minutes after I'd set up for Adoration, I heard someone else come in. Most unusual. Gabriel arrives at 4.30, Randell at 4.50, Peter at 4.55 and Linda occasionally at either 4 p m on the knocker when Adoration begins, or at 5 p m for Mass. I thought I heard jandals so I thought, Linda, a bit late. For some reason though, after a few minutes I opened my eyes and saw a small boy. Filippino. In crocs.
I went over to sit beside him and said, “Are you looking for Father?” No, he’d just seen the door open and a car outside and thought he’d come in. On his way home from a swim. He had his togs and towel in a supermarket bag which he kept twirling between his knees. He was about seven. He reminded me of both the little boys I’ve just seen in Lion and Moonlight. A beautiful kid. We had a conversation, starting with an explanation of Jesus in the monstrance, and moved on to the Stations of the Cross. Why did Jesus die? Why didn’t God save Him? Then Adam and Eve – why was it wrong to eat the apple? Why didn’t God kill the devil?
His name was Caleb. “It’s in the Bible. Do you know about Caleb?” No, I didn’t. We sort of ended with hell. He didn’t want to go to hell, because it’s like boiling lava and you never get out. Yes, I said, and aren’t we so blessed that we know there is a hell and how to keep out of it? Yes, he said. 

That’s so good I said, because the devil is the father of lies and his biggest lie is that there’s no such thing as hell and all we have to do to keep out of it is get closer and closer to God and doing what He wants, and further and further from the devil and what he wants.
And God might be wanting Caleb to go home to Dad before he started worrying. Yes, he said, and got up to go. I said I might see him at Mass on Sunday. No, he wouldn’t be there. But he’d be going to Mass. At Havelock North. At Our Lady of Lourdes? I asked. Yes. Maybe my grandson Theo knows him.

I hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment