Monday 20 February 2017

WHY WE SHOULD READ THE DOUAY-RHEIMS BIBLE



I bought the Douay-Rheims version of the Bible years ago through a friend who imports it.

I sometimes take the D-R to meetings with a group of dear Protestant friends, to choose scripture verses for weekly publication in the local rag. They listen politely to its ‘transliteration’ (as opposed to translation) but I think we’ve never chosen the Douay version for the paper. The ‘Good News’ is the bible that most often seems to be the one to resonate with Central Hawke’s Bay readership.

However, I bought the Douay because of its faithfulness to the Vulgate translation by St Jerome. What I didn’t know then was that the Douay-Rheims Bible was confirmed by the Magisterium of the Catholic Church at the Council of Trent as “authentic” and “no one should dare or presume under any pretext to reject it”.



My good friend Gwen Story (tenstory@xtra.co.nz) has a black, leather-bound gold-embossed D-R available right now, at $85.

Pleroma Christian Supplies has a paperback version, $45.

Or you can read the Douay online. I needed the D-R translation of a particular verse yesterday. I googled “Douay-Rheims Bible” and the verse’s key word, and lo and behold! there it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment