Thursday 29 September 2016

THE RUGBY UNION DOESN'T 'GET IT'. NEITHER DO I (letter published in Dom Post, October 1)


I’m no rugby fan but for the life of me, I can’t see why the rugby union should be blamed for a player’s violence. 
If a young farm worker employed by my son attacked someone in the street, would my son be blamed for it? Would my son be expected to beat his breast and sack his employee? Wouldn’t he more likely have a conversation with the guy, find out the reasons for his anger and help him deal with it?
We’re talking about a kid who was promoted out of his depth into a macho culture, and couldn’t handle it. The rugby union is entitled to end his contract, of course, but where does that leave its promising protege? Up the creek without a paddle.
If the nation makes so much of a violent sport, it must expect that violence to spill over into the streets, and be prepared to deal with the consequences with compassion.

No comments:

Post a Comment